When your teeth are healthy but your smile looks discolored, teeth whitening can help your smile look as good on the outside as it feels on the inside. If your teeth are only slightly stained, however, you may wonder if the process is worth the time and cost. Fortunately, there are many whitening solutions you can take home and apply yourself!
Hardin Advanced Dentistry offers a variety of whitening products, including several take-home solutions. To learn what our Mason cosmetic dentists can do to brighten your smile, schedule a free consultation at our practice by dialing (513) 234-5531.
How Does Take-Home Teeth Whitening Work?
If you are familiar with in-office teeth whitening, you know that it involves applying hydrogen peroxide to your teeth, and using an activation lamp to speed up the process. Take-home whitening works on the same principle, but rather than using an activation lamp while you sit still for 45 minutes, you apply the products over a period of weeks, usually while you’re sleeping.
Some common take-home whitening products include:
- Custom dental trays: These trays are customized to fit your teeth and loaded with whitening gel. You keep them in your mouth overnight.
- Whitening strips: You can get strips over the counter at most drug stores and supermarkets, and while they are less powerful than custom trays, they are easy to use and can whiten teeth.
- Whitening toothpaste: These toothpastes tend to contain abrasive materials and bleaching agents. They can help maintain whitening results, but do not significantly whiten teeth by themselves.
- Whitening swabs: Some whitening products give you an “instant whitening” product that you apply with a swab or small brush. There’s not much evidence that they provide much whitening.
If you’re looking for the most effective take-home whitening product, you should consider the KöR whitening system offered by Hardin Advanced Dentistry! This service combines in-office treatment with advanced take-home trays that seal out both saliva and sulcular fluids to help ensure optimal and uninterrupted coverage. The KöR whitening system utilizes dual-activated, Tri-Barrel™ hydremide peroxide technology to provide continuous whitening over a six to ten hour period. While a more expensive option, the KöR whitening system draws on the most effective in-office and take-home techniques to produce spectacular results that can last for several years.
Benefits of Take-Home Whitening
Just like any other dental treatment you use regularly, take-home whitening has certain advantages. While an in-office whitening treatment will get more immediate results, there are some good reasons for switching to a take-home system.
Benefits of take-home whitening include:
- Convenience: Whiten according to your own schedule.
- Gradual results: Because they work over several weeks, the changes are gradual and less likely to be remarked on.
- Comfort: No need to sit in a dental chair for almost an hour
- Lasting results: The long-term application process allows take-home products to overcome daily staining.
However, these advantages don’t mean that you should forget about in-office whitening. The best overall solution for keeping your smile bright over the long term is probably to combine a Zoom! in-office whitening procedure with custom take-home trays. Ask your dentist if this combination is the right strategy for you.
Learn About Whitening from Hardin Advanced Dentistry
The cosmetic dentists at Hardin Advanced Dentistry have plenty of experience with whitening products of all types, and they can advise you on the best course of action to take for your smile. To schedule a free consultation with us today, call (513) 234-5531 or fill out the form on this page. We serve patients in Dayton and the greater Cincinnati area.