Headache Treatment Tips for Cincinnati TMJ Patients
TMJ disorder is far more than just a pain in the neck – it can affect the jaw, the ears, and cause severe headaches. If aspirin isn’t giving you relief and the pain is spreading to other parts of your face, consider visiting a Cincinnati dentist with experience providing headache treatment.
Patients who suffer from dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) often endure headaches that approach migraine-like intensity. In many cases involving TMJ disorder, the pain is caused when a misaligned bite creates extreme pressure on the trigeminal nerve, the pathway for sensation from the face to the brain.
Steps you can take to treat headaches tied to TMJ include:
- Apply hot and cold compresses to reduce inflammation and pain in the face.
- Reduce stress through light exercise, relaxing hobbies, etc.
- Try physical therapy to make the jaw muscles stronger and reduce pressure.
- Get fitted for a specially designed oral appliance.
- Correct the position of your bite with orthodontic treatment.
Dr. Tara Hardin and Dr. Gary Hardin often recommend a custom-made mouth guard for patients suffering from TMJ symptoms. This appliance is worn like a retainer, usually during sleep to provide the jaw joints additional protection from teeth grinding or jaw clenching.
To be fitted for a custom mouth guard or explore other TMJ remedies, please contact Hardin Advanced Dentistry or call (513) 234-5531 today to schedule a consultation. Dr. Gary and Dr. Tara provide headache treatment to patients throughout the Greater Cincinnati area, Southeast Indiana, and Northern Kentucky.