Maintaining a regular checkup schedule is the first step toward maintaining good health for your teeth and gums. The Cincinnati family dentists at Hardin Advanced Dentistry offer a wide range of services to help you keep your mouth in healthy, ideal condition.
To learn more about how Cincinnati family dentists Dr. Gary Hardin and Dr. Tara Hardin can help you make your smile radiant and healthy, please call (513) 234-5531 today to schedule an appointment.
Home Care for Tooth Health
Though you should plan on visiting your dentist twice a year for a professional checkup and cleaning, there are general steps you can take to maintain good oral hygiene at home. Good practices to observe include:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day (possibly more, depending on diet)
- Floss daily
- Eat a diet rich in calcium while avoiding lots of sugar
- Maintain good overall health
What to Expect During a Cleaning
When you visit Hardin Advanced Dentistry, you will generally meet with two members of our team: a hygienist and a family dentist. The hygienist will do an initial check of your gums and teeth before starting the cleaning, which often includes:
- Removing soft plaque and hard tartar from your teeth
- Polishing teeth to remove deposits left by coffee, tea and other items that tend to stain
- Education on proper brushing, flossing and homecare techniques to maintain a healthy mouth
What to Expect During a Checkup
After your teeth are clean, the family dentist will evaluate the health of your entire mouth, as well as supporting structures. Usual steps of an examination include:
- Checking the health of each tooth for signs of decay
- Digital X-rays to check the mouth for oral health issues your dentist can’t see during the regular exam; our DIAGNOdent technology can check even deeper beneath the surface for signs of cavities
- Ensuring restorative work, such as dental crowns and bridges, tooth colored fillings and dental implants, remain secure and intact
- Assessing your bite to make sure it’s properly aligned
- Gently probing your gums for signs of tenderness, bleeding or disease
- Oral DNA saliva testing if signs of disease are present
After the exam, your family dentist can make treatment recommendations to help you and your loved ones advance and maintain your oral health.
If you live in or around Greater Cincinnati, Dayton, or Mason, Ohio, or pay us a visit from your home in SE Indiana or Northern Kentucky and would like to make an appointment with a skilled family dentist, please contact Hardin Advanced Dentistry by calling (513) 234-5531 or filling out our online form today.