5 Ways You Can Improve Your Smile
Your smile is your calling card. It invites people into your world, and a welcoming, healthy smile conveys a lot about who you are. While regular checkups and cleanings are needed, there are a number of things you can do at home to improve and maintain a beautiful smile.
1. Brush Your Teeth Regularly
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), you should brush your teeth twice daily for two minutes each time.
This removes not only food particles but plaque, a sticky white film that forms on your teeth after you’ve eaten anything sugary or acidic. The bacteria in plaque attacks tooth enamel, which protects your teeth from decay, but once the enamel is gone, it’s gone.
An electric toothbrush removes more plaque than a manual, but ensure you use a soft-bristled brush. Medium- and hard- bristled brushes are highly abrasive and can permanently damage the enamel.
2. Avoid Beverages that Can Stain Your Teeth
Although tooth enamel is the hardest mineral in the body, it is susceptible to staining. The most common culprits are coffee, tea, and red wine, but there are ways to mitigate their effects. Two of the easiest are:
- 1. Drinking through a straw so the liquid doesn’t come into contact with your teeth.
- 2. Drink or swish some plain water in your mouth after drinking a staining liquid, but do not brush for 30 minutes to allow time for the beverage’s enamel-wearing acidic effect to disappear.
3. Quit Smoking
Smoking can also stain your teeth. Depending on how much you smoke, it may be superficial staining, easily polished off, or it may stain the enamel.
More serious than this is the fact that smoking reduces circulation to the gums, which causes them to recede, making your teeth look longer and providing a hiding place for bacteria.
4. Prevent Tooth Decay and Gingivitis with Daily Flossing
Flossing removes plaque from the gumlines and between teeth, where a toothbrush cannot reach. This prevents the build-up of plaque and tartar, which can destroy bone and lead to tooth loss
5. Cosmetic Treatments Offered at Hardin Advanced Dentistry
Try some of our professional treatments for that extra boost of confidence:
- ZOOM teeth whitening: A no-heat lamp activates a peroxide-based bleaching gel that, in one 45-minute session, can lighten your teeth up to 10 shades for up to two years.
- Porcelain veneers: Lumineers are very thin shells, customized for each patient, that can provide a lovely, natural look to uneven, chipped or cracked teeth, or those with gaps or staining.
- Dental implants: Dental implants can replace the loss of one or more teeth, using a “root-based” technique that allows you to bite, chew, and speak naturally.
- Smile Makeover: A Smile Makeover can consist of any combination of cosmetic treatments we offer. For example, a dental crown may be needed to restore a badly decayed or damaged tooth, while Lumineers will work beautifully for others. Every smile makeover is completely customized to resolve virtually any issue, including lost teeth.
Why Choose Dr. Hardin for Cosmetic Dentistry
Dr. Hardin’s impressive foundation of education and experience, combined with her keen aesthetic vision, has enabled her to restore the appearance and confidence to so many satisfied patients. If you wish to learn more, contact our office today and schedule a consultation with some of the best cosmetic dentists Cincinnati has to offer.