Great Food Choices for Your Teeth
It’s not hard to find a list of foods and drinks that are harmful to your teeth and gums. But what foods are actually good for your oral health? Cincinnati family dentist Dr. Tara Hardin is committed to helping her patients live strong, healthy lives, and eating the right foods is essential to attaining good dental and general health.
Some foods that are great for oral health include:
- Apples: The apple has been called nature’s tooth brush. It increases saliva flow, helps to stimulate your gums and prevents cavities by cleansing the surface of your teeth.
- Celery: Like apples, celery has several dental health benefits. It is one of the best weapons you can use to keep the bacteria in your mouth at bay.
- Cheese: Cheese contains casein, which helps fortify your tooth’s surface. If you are prone to cavities, cheese can help prevent decay and make your teeth healthy and strong.
- Kiwi: This delicious fruit is a great source of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps maintain the collagen network in your gums, prevents gum infections, hastens oral healing and strengthens your gums, which helps prevent gum disease.
- Onions: Although eating a raw onion may adversely affect the smell of your breath, it offers several oral benefits. Onions naturally eliminate harmful bacteria from your mouth and body. This anti-bacteria activity helps prevent tooth decay.
Dental well-being isn’t accomplished by simply avoiding harmful foods. Making informed nutritional choices and sticking to a comprehensive oral hygiene regimen are essential to good oral health.
If you’d like to learn how our Cincinnati family dentist can help you and your family maintain strong, healthy teeth and gums, contact Hardin Advanced Dentistry today online or at (513) 398-4448. Our family dentistry helps patients from Mason and Dayton Ohio, as well as residents of Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana.