5 Common Misconceptions about Porcelain Veneers
If, like many of our Cincinnati patients, your teeth have suffered from decay, trauma, excessive wear or discoloration, porcelain veneers can be an ideal solution. Veneers are an excellent way to conceal stains and correct minor misalignments.
Despite the beauty and versatility of veneers, some people shirk at the prospect of getting them because of myths they have encountered. Here are five of the most common misconceptions our cosmetic dentists hear about porcelain veneers:
- Misconception No. 1: The application is painful. Like any major dental procedure, veneers are applied after a patient has been given a local anesthetic, eliminating any pain or discomfort.
- Misconception No. 2: You only need veneers for the front of your mouth. Veneers are most often placed where they are most visible: on the six front teeth. However, they can also be used on lower teeth and premolars.
- Misconception No. 3: The entire tooth must to be filed down before veneers can be placed. While some reshaping is usually needed before placing veneers, most of it is minimal.
- Misconception No. 4: Veneers only serve aesthetic purposes. Although the primary goal of veneers is often to enhance the overall appearance of the smile, veneers can also be used to fill out cheeks and rebuild molars.
- Misconception No. 5: Veneers are unnaturally white and noticeable. Modern veneers can be beautifully customized to match the thickness, shape and natural color of a patient’s existing teeth.
If you live in Dayton, Mason or Cincinnati and have been considering porcelain veneers, contact Hardin Advanced Dentistry today to meet with our experienced cosmetic dentist. During your visit, you can express your concerns and find out if veneers are right for you. Schedule your appointment now by completing the form on this page or calling (513) 234-5531. We proudly serve patients from Southeast Indiana and Northern Kentucky.